Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Breakfast for dinner


Note the only slightly misshapen heart pancake I made for Sean. If I had thought of it earlier I would have made them all into shapes, but it didn't occur to me until the very last one went on the griddle. Darn. Anyway, I made buttermilk pancakes for the first time and was thrilled with the restaurant quality results. So that's how they make those pancakes so light and springy! Now, the question of what to do with the rest of the buttermilk. As it turns out, they only sell buttermilk in quart-sized bottles. I already made a cake and pancakes and I still have half the bottle left. What am I supposed to do with all of it? When I was little I remember my mom used to drink the buttermilk that we would buy for special recipes. She claimed it was a Southern thing, a remnant from her grandparents' Kentucky origins.

I know this breakfast-dinner hybrid doesn't look like much, but this has been one of those weeks where I am proud to have pulled it together to make anything. It has not been overtly stressful... in fact I can't really even pinpoint what is making me tense. Work is busy, but no crises to speak of. Everything is great in the old homestead. Nevertheless, I keep catching myself clenching my jaw -- to the point that it has caused me jaw pain for several days now and, I believe, directly contributed to the migraine I had yesterday. (Emery, is this how it starts?!) No, I'm sure there's no TMJ here, just a deep need for a little vacation. Thank god it's almost Thanksgiving. Yay for federal holidays!

I have another picture that I wanted to post. It has nothing to do with food or aching joints, but I thought it was too cute to keep to myself:

Pobrecita Petrie. Is it wrong that this picture makes me smile?

2 comments:

emery_rose said...

Aww, poor Petri. I hope she's getting better.
That's weird about your jaw. I had a tension headache the last two days too, and I think it was from grinding my teeth. Weird! I haven't had a very stressful week either. Maybe there's some tense wind blowing in or something.

Chris said...

A solution I propose: Petri + Buttermilk = a very happy kitty

Plus, I think she could use the fat to help her healing process.